Glossary of Terms

We take great pride in making our clients feel confident about their jobs during the production process. To help you gain a better understanding of what’s happening to your project, we’ve compiled a glossary of terms that we commonly use in our industry.


  • Accordion Fold
    A type of paper folding in which each fold runs in the opposite direction to the previous fold creating a pleated or accordion effect.
  • Achromatic
    The non-colors… black, white and gray.
  • Alignment
    The condition of type and or art materials as they level up on a horizontal or vertical line.
  • Alley
    A term for a random, coincidental path or a row of white space within a segment of copy.
  • Alphabet Length
    The measured length (in points) of the lowercase alphabet of a certain size and series of type.
  • American Paper Institute
    An organization that correlates all paper related information.
  • Antique Finish
    Paper with a rough, sized surface used for book and cover stock.
  • Arc Light
    A light source produced by the passing of electric current between two electrodes; used in the production of plates in photolithography.
  • Arms
    Those elements of letters that branch out from the stem of a letter, such as: “K” and “Y”.
  • Arrowhead
    A symbol shaped like an arrowhead that is used in illustration to direct a leader line. Reference, leader line
  • Art Work
    Any materials or images that are prepared for graphic reproduction.
  • Art-Lined Envelope
    An envelope that is lined with an extra fine paper; can be colored or patterned.
  • Ascender
    Any part of a lower case letter which rises above the main body of the letter such as in “d”, “b” and “h”.
  • Back Lining
    The fixing of a material, either paper or cloth, to the back of a book before it is bound. Reference: case binding.
  • Back Margin
    A term referring to the margin which lies closest to the back of the book.
  • Back Step Collation
    The collation of book signatures according to reference marks which are printed on the back fold of each section.
  • Back To Back
    Print applied to both sides of a sheet of paper.
  • Backbone
    That portion of the binding, which connects the front of the book with the back of the book; also called “back”.
  • Background
    That portion of a photograph or line art drawing that appears furthest from the eye; the surface upon which the main image is superimposed.
  • Backslant
    Any type that tilts to the left or backward direction; opposite of italic type.
  • Balance
    A term used to describe the aesthetic or harmony of elements, whether they are photos, art or copy, within a layout or design.
  • Balloon
    In an illustration, any line which encircles copy, or dialogue.
  • Banker’s Flap Envelope
    Also called wallet flap; the wallet flap has more rounded flap edges.
  • Banner
    The primary headline usually spanning the entire width of a page.
  • Base Line
    This is a term used to describe the imaginary horizontal line upon which stand capitals, lower case letters, punctuation points etc.
  • Basis Weight
    Basis or basic weight refers to the weight, in pounds, of a ream (500 sheets) of paper cut to a given standard size for that particular paper grade.
  • Bauhaus
    A design school in Germany where the Sans Serif font was originated.
  • Bimetal Plate
    A plate which is used in long print runs; the printing image is copper or brass, and the non-printing area is aluminum or stainless steel.
  • Binder’s Board
    A heavy paperboard with a cloth covering that is used for hardback binding of books.
  • Binding
    Various methods of securing folded sections together and or fastening them to a cover, to form single copies of a book.
  • Black Letter
    An old style of typeface used in Germany in the 15th century, also referred to as Old English (US) and Gothic (UK).
  • Blanket
    On offset presses a fabric-reinforced sheet of rubber to transfer the impression from the plate onto the paper.
  • Blanket To Blanket Press
    A printing method in which there are two blanket cylinders through which a sheet of paper is passed and printed on both sides.
  • Bleed
    Extra ink area that crosses trim line, used to allow for variations that occur when the reproduction is trimmed or die-cut.
  • Blind Emboss
    A design or bas relief impression that is made without using inks or metal foils.
  • Blind Embossing
    Embossed forms that are not inked, or gold leafed.
  • Blind Folio
    Page number not printed on page.
  • Block Resistance
    The resistance of coated papers to blocking. Reference, blocking.
  • Blocking
    The adhesion of one coated sheet to another, causing paper tears or particles of the coating to shed away from the paper surface.
  • Body
    The main shank or portion of the letter character other than the ascenders and descenders. Also: A term used to define the thickness or viscosity of printer’s ink.
  • Body Size
    The point size of a particular type character.
  • Boiler Plate
    Repetitive blocks of type that are picked up and included routinely without recreating them.
  • Boldface
    Any type that has a heavier black stroke that makes it more conspicuous.
  • Bond
    A grade of durable writing, printing and typing paper that has a standard size of 17×22 inches.
  • Book
    A general classification to describe papers used to print books; its standard size is 25×38 inches. A printed work which contains more than 64 pages.
  • Bounce
    A registration problem, usually on copiers, where the image appears to bounce back and forth. A bounce usually occurs in one direction depending on how the paper is passing through the machine. This is usually accented by card stock (especially if it’s over the machine’s spec). When a customer refuses a job for whatever reason.
  • Brace
    A character ” }” used to group lines, or phrases.
  • Bristol Board
    A board paper of various thickness; having a smooth finish and used for printing and drawing.
  • Broad Fold
    A term given to the fold whereby paper is folded with the short side running with the grain.
  • Brochure
    A pamphlet that is bound in booklet form.
  • Buckle Folder
    A portion of the binding machinery with rollers that fold the paper.
  • Buckram
    A coarse sized cloth used in the bookbinding process.
  • Bulk
    A term given to paper to describe its thickness relative to its weight.
  • Bullet
    A boldface square or dot used before a sentence to emphasize its importance.
  • Burn
    A term used in plate making to describe the amount of plate exposure time.
  • Calendar Rolls
    A series of metal rolls at the end of a paper machine; when the paper is passed between these rolls it increases its smoothness and glossy surface.
  • Caliper
    The measurement of thickness of paper expressed in thousandths of an inch or mils.
  • Cap Line
    An imaginary horizontal line running across the tops of capital letters.
  • Caps & Small Caps
    Two sizes of capital letters made in one size of type.
  • Case
    The stiff covers of a hardbound book.
  • Case Binding
    Books bound using hard board (case) covers.
  • Casing In
    The process of placing in and adhering a book to its case covers.
  • Chancery Italic
    A 13th century handwriting style which is the roots of italic design.
  • Coarse Screen
    Halftone screens commonly used in newsprint; up to 85 lines per inch.
  • Coated Stock
    Any paper that has a mineral coating applied after the paper is made, giving the paper a smoother finish.
  • Collate
    To gather sheets or signatures together in their correct order. (see Gather)
  • Colophon
    A printers or publishers identifying symbol or emblem.
  • Color Bars
    This term refers to a color test strip, which is printed on the waste portion of a press sheet. It is a standardized process which allows a pressman to determine the quality of the printed material relative to ink density, registration, and dot gain.
  • Color Separating
    The processes of separating the primary color components for printing.
  • Color Transparency
    Transparent film containing a positive photographic color image.
  • Column Gutter
    Space between two or more columns of type on one page.
  • Composition
    The assembly of characters into words, lines and paragraphs of text or body matter for reproduction by printing.
  • Condensed Type
    A narrow, elongated type face.
  • Continuous Tone
    Image made of non-discernable picture elements which give appearance of continuous spectrum of grey values or tones.
  • Contrast
    The degree of tonal separation or gradation in the range from black to white.
  • Copy
    Refers to any typewritten material, art, photos etc., to be used for the printing process.
  • Cover
    A term describing a general type of papers used for the covers of books, pamphlets etc.
  • Crop
    To eliminate a portion of the art or copy as indicated by crop marks.
  • Crop Mark
    Markings at edges of original or on guide sheet to indicate the area desired in reproduction with negative or plate trimmed (cropped) at the markings.
  • Cross-over
    Elements that cross page boundaries and land on two consecutive pages (usually rules).
  • Crossmarks
    Marks of fine lines, which intersect to indicate accurate alignment of art elements.
  • Cutter
    Machine for accurately cutting stacks of paper to desired dimensions…can also be used to crease. Also trims out final bound books’ top size (soft cover).
  • Cutting Die
    Sharp edged device, usually made of steel, to cut paper, cardboard, etc., on a printing press.
  • Cyan
    A shade of blue used in the four-color process; it reflects blue and green and absorbs red.
  • Cylinder Gap
    The gap in the cylinders of a press where the grippers or blanket clamps is housed.
  • Deckle Edge
    The rough or feathered edge of paper when left untrimmed.
  • Densitometer
    An optical device used by printers and photographers to measure and control the density of color.
  • Density
    The degree of tone, weight of darkness or color within a photo or reproduction; measurable by the densitometer. Reference, densitometer.
  • Descender
    A term that describes that portion of lower case letters which extends below the main body of the letter, as in “p”.
  • Die
    Design, letters or shapes, cut into metal (mostly brass) for stamping book covers or embossing. An engraved stamp used for impressing an image or design.
  • Die Cutting
    A method of using sharp steel ruled stamps or rollers to cut various shapes i.e. labels, boxes, image shapes, either post press or in line. The process of cutting paper in a shape or design by the use of a wooden die or block in which are positioned steel rules in the shape of the desired pattern.
  • Dimensional stability
    The qualities of paper to stabilize its original size when undergoing pressure or exposed to moisture.
  • Display Type
    Any type that stands out from the rest of the type on a page which attracts attention of the reader.
  • Direct-to-Plate (aka Computer-to-Plate)
    Modern technology for creating printing plates. Art from computer files are applied directly onto plates via an imagesetter.
  • Distribution Rollers
    In the printing process, the rubber coated rollers responsible for the distribution of ink from the fountain to the ink drum.
  • Dot
    The smallest individual element of a halftone.
  • Dot Gain
    Darkening of halftone image due to ink absorption in paper causing halftone dots to enlarge. Terms to describe the occurrence whereby dots are printing larger than they should.
  • DPI
    Stands for Dots Per Inch, a measure of printing or video dot density, Specifically, it is the number of individual dots that can be placed in a line within the span of 1 inch.
  • Draw-down
    A method used by ink makers to determine the color, quality and tone of ink. It entails the drawing of a spatula over a drop of ink, spreading it flat over the paper.
  • Drier
    A term that describes any additives to ink which encourages the drying process.
  • Drill
    The actual drilling of holes into paper for ring or comb binding.
  • Drop Folio
    Page number printed at foot of page.
  • Drop Shadow
    A shadow image placed strategically behind an image to create the affect of the image lifting off the page.
  • Dry Mount
    Pasting with heat sensitive adhesives.
  • Ductor Roller
    The roller between the inking and the dampening rollers.
  • Dull Finish
    Any matte finished paper.
  • Dummy Model
    Resembling finished piece in every respect except that the pages and cover are blank, used by the designer as a final check on the appearance and +feel+ of the book as a guide for the size and position of elements on the jacket.
  • Duotone
    Color reproduction from monochrome original. Keyplate usually printed in dark color for detail, second plate printed in light flat tints. A two-color halftone reproduction generated from a one-color photo.
  • Elliptical Dot
    Halftone screens in which the dots are actually elongated to produce improved middle tones.
  • Em
    A unit of measurement equaling 12 points or 4.5mm.
  • Embossing
    To raise in relief a design or letters already printed on card stock or heavy paper by an uninked block or die. In rubber and plastic plate making the process is usually done by heat.
  • Emulsion
    A light sensitive substance used as a coating for film; made from a silver halide compound. This side should face the lens when the film is exposed.
  • Enamel
    A term that describes a glossy coating on paper.
  • Estimate
    The form used by the printer to calculate the project for the print buyer. This form contains the basic parameters of the project including size, quantity, colors, bleeds, photos etc.
  • Estimator
    One who computes or approximates the cost of work to be done on which quotation may be based.
  • Expanded Type
    Type with width greater than normal producing a rectangular effect.
  • Exposure
    That stage of the photographic process where the image is produced on the light sensitive coating.
  • Extender
    A white pigment added to a colored pigment to reduce its intensity and improve its working qualities.
  • Fan Fold
    Paper folding that emulates an accordion or fan, the folds being alternating and parallel.
  • Filling In
    A fault in printing where the ink fills in the fine line or halftone dot areas.
  • Finish
    The surface quality of paper.
  • Finish (Paper)
    Dull – (low gloss) also matte or matte gloss.
  • Flock Paper
    Paper that is patterned by sizing, and than coated with powders of wool or cotton, (flock).
  • Fluid Ink
    Also called liquid ink; ink with a low viscosity.
  • Flush Cover
    A bound book or booklet etc. having the cover trimmed to the same size as the text.
  • Foils
    Papers that have a surface resembling metal.
  • Fold Marks
    Markings at top edges that show where folds should occur.
  • Folder
    Machine used to fold signatures down into sections.
  • Folio or Page Number
    Number of page at top or bottom either centered, flushed left or flushed right often with running headline.
  • Font
    The characters which make up a complete typeface and size.
  • Form Rollers
    The rollers that come into direct contact with the plate of a printing press.
  • Free sheet
    Any paper that is free from wood pulp impurities.
  • Ganging
    The bundling of two or more different printing projects on the same sheet of paper.
  • Gather
    To assemble or collect sections into single copies of complete books for binding.
  • Gathering
    Assembling sheets of paper and signatures into their proper sequence; collating.
  • Ghosting
    Marring a print by the placement of an image of work printed on the reverse side which has interfered with its drying so that differences in the trapping frame colors or glass variations are apparent.
  • Gilding
    Sticking on gold leaf to edges of books with a liquid agent and made permanent with burnishing tools.
  • Glassine
    A strong transparent paper.
  • Gloss Ink
    Quick drying oil based inks with low penetration qualities, used on coated stock.
  • Graduated Screen
    An area of image where halftone dots range continuously from one density to another.
  • Grain
    Direction of fibers in a sheet of paper governing paper properties such as increased size changes with relative humidity, across the grain, and better folding properties along the grain.
  • Grained Paper
    A paper embossed to resemble various textures, such as leather, alligator, wood, etc.
  • Gripper
    A series of metal fingers that hold each sheet of paper as it passes through the various stages of the printing process.
  • Gripper Edge
    The grippers of the printing press move the paper through the press by holding onto the leading edge of the sheet; this edge is the gripper edge.
  • Gutter
    Space between pages in the printing frame of a book, or inside margin towards the back or binding edge. The blank space or margin between the type page and the binding of a book.
  • Hairline register
    Printing registration that lies within the range of plus or minus one half row of dots. It is the thinnest of the standard printers’ rules.
  • Halftone
    Tone graduated image composed of varying sized dots or lines, with equidistant centers.
  • Head Margin
    That space which lies between the top of the printed copy and the trimmed edge.
  • Hickies
    Imperfections in presswork due to dirt on press, trapping errors, etc.
  • High Bulk Paper
    Paper stock that is comparatively thick in relation to its basis weight.
  • Highlights
    The lightest tones of a photo, printed halftone or illustration. In the finished halftone, these highlights are represented by the finest dots.
  • Image Area
    That portion of the printing plate that carries the ink and prints on paper.
  • Image Resolution
    This describes the detail an image holds, and applies to digital images, film images, and other types of electronic images. An image with higher resolution allows for more detail and cleaner reproduction in printing.
  • Image Setter
    High resolution, large format device for producing film from electronically generated page layouts.
  • Imposition
    Arrangement of pages so that they print correctly on a press sheet, and the pages are in proper order when the sheets are folded.
  • Impression
    Product resulting from one cycle of printing machine. The pressure of the image carrier, whether it be the type, plate or blanket, when it contacts the paper.
  • Index Bristol
    A relatively thick paper stock; basis size—25 1/2 x 30 1/2.
  • Indicia
    Markings pre-printed on mailing envelopes to replace the stamp.
  • Ink Fountain
    The device which stores and meters ink to the inking rollers.
  • Ink Setting
    The inertial resistance to flow that occurs to ink as soon as it is printed.
  • Inkometer
    A device used to measure the tack of ink.
  • Inserts
    Extra printed pages inserted loosely into printed pieces.
  • Interleaves
    Extra blank pages inserted loosely into book after printing.
  • Iridescent Paper
    A coated stock finished in mother-of-pearl.
  • Italic
    Text that is used to denote emphasis by slanting the type body forward.
  • Jacket
    The paper cover sometimes called the “dust cover” of a hardbound book.
  • Job Number
    A number assigned to a printing project used for record keeping and job tracking. Also used to retrieve old jobs for reprints or reworking by customer.
  • Jog
    To vibrate a stack of finished pages so that they are tightly aligned for final trimming.
  • Jogger
    Vibrating, sloping platform that evens up the edges of stacks of paper.
  • Kerning
    The narrowing of space between two letters so that they become closer and take up less space on the page.
  • Kraft
    A coarse unbleached paper used for printing and industrial products.
  • Lacquer
    A clear gloss coating applied to printed material for strength, appearance and protection.
  • Laid Finish
    A parallel lined paper that has a handmade look.
  • Laser Engraving
    A paper cutting technique whereby laser technology is utilized to cut away certain unmasked areas of the paper. The cutting is a result of the exposure of the paper to the laser ray, which actually evaporates the paper.
  • Lay Edge
    Edge of a sheet of paper being fed into a printing press.
  • Leading
    Space between lines of type; the distance in points between one baseline and the next.
  • Leaf
    One of a number of folds (each containing two pages) which comprises a book or manuscript.
  • Letterpress
    Printing that utilizes inked raised surfaces to create the image.
  • Letterspacing
    The addition of space between typeset letters.
  • Line Copy
    Any copy that can be reproduced without the use of halftone screens.
  • Linen
    A paper that emulates the look and texture of linen cloth.
  • Lithography
    The process of printing that utilizes flat inked surfaces to create the printed images.
  • Logotype
    A personalized type or design symbol for a company or product.
  • LPI
    Refers to Lines Per Inch, a measurement of how tight together the dots in a halftone screen are, and generally indicated the quality level of printed material. Printing in higher LPI allows greater detail and sharpness of an image. Standard LPI in printing is 85 LPI for newspapers, 150 LPI for commercial printing, and up to 200 LPI high quality printing such as in magazines.
  • Machine Coated
    Paper that has had a coating applied to either one or two of its sides during the papermaking process.
  • Make Ready
    Process of adjusting final plate on the press to fine tune or modify plate surface.
  • Margin
    Imprinted space around edge of page.
  • Mark-up
    To write up instructions, as on a dummy.
  • Mask
    A photo negative or positive used in the color separation process to color correct. Reference, PRINTING, mask.
  • Matte Finish
    A coated paper finish that goes through minimal calendaring. Reference, calendaring.
  • Metropolitan Service Area
    A group of ZIP codes usually in close proximity defining a large metropolitan area (e.g. New York City or Los Angeles).
  • Midtone Dot
    Commonly taken as the area between highlight and shadow area of a subject’s face in halftone image.
  • Moiré
    An undesirable halftone pattern produced by the incorrect angles of overprinting halftone screens.
  • Mull
    Coarse muslin glue placed on the back of book or pads for strengthening.
  • Natural
    A term to describe papers that have a color similar to that of wood; also called cream, off-white or ivory.
  • Negative
    Film that contains the same images as the original print, except that all colors and shades are reversed. Reference, positive. This is mostly-antiquated technology for creating printing plates, which are mostly done via computers and imagesetters.
  • Newsprint
    A light, low cost groundwood paper made especially for newspapers. Reference, groundwood.
  • OA Of Register
    When two sheet passes on a press are misaligned.
  • Offset
    The most commonly used printing method, whereby the printed material does not receive the ink directly from the printing plate but from an intermediary cylinder called a blanket which receives the ink from the plate and transfers it to the paper.
  • Offset Gravure
    A complex offset process involving multiple transfers between the gravure plate, the plate cylinder and a solid rubber plate.
  • Offset Lithography
    Indirect printing method in which the inked image on the press-plate is first printed onto a rubber blanket, then in turn offsets the inked impression on to the sheet of paper.
  • Onionskin
    A light bond paper used for typing and used with carbon paper because of its thinness.
  • Opacity
    Quality of papers that defines its opaqueness or ability to prevent two-sided printing from showing through.
  • Opaque
    A quality of paper that allows relatively little light to pass through.
  • Opaque Ink
    Ink that completely covers any ink under itself.
  • Over Run
    Surplus of copies printed.
  • Overprinting
    Any printing that is done on an area that has already been printed.
  • Page
    One side of a leaf.
  • Pantone Color (aka PMS Color)
    A standardized color reproduction system, called the Pantone Matching System, used in the printing industry, containing over 1,000 colors. This allows different printers or artists in different locations to make sure colors match.
  • Parchment
    A hard finished paper that emulates animal skin; used for documents, such as awards, that require writing by hand.
  • Parent Sheet
    A sheet that is larger than the cut stock of the same paper.
  • Perf Marks
    Markings, usually dotted lines, at edges showing where perforations should occur.
  • Perfect Binding
    Binding process where backs of sections are cut off, roughened and glued together, and rung in a cover.
  • Perforating
    Punching small holes or slits in a sheet of paper or cardboard to facilitate tearing along a desired line.
  • Pica
    Standard of measurement, 1/6 inch. 1 pica = 12 points 72 points = 1 inch
  • Pin Register
    Using metal pins fitted into preset holes of copy sheets, films, plates and presses that will assure the proper registration.
  • Pinholing
    Failure of printed ink to form a completely continuous film, visible in the form of small holes in the printed areas.
  • Plastic Comb
    A method of binding books whereby holes are drilled on the side closest the spine, and a plastic grasping device is inserted to hold the pages together.
  • Plate
    Reproduction of type or cuts in metal, plastic, rubber, or other material, to form a plate bearing a relief, planographic or intaglio printing surface.
  • Plate Cylinder
    The cylinder on a printing press on which the plate is mounted.
  • Platemaking
    Making a printing plate from an imaging unit, film, or flat including preparation of the plate surface, sensitizing, exposing through the flat, developing or processing, and finishing.
  • PMS Color
    Abbreviation of Pantone Matching System, a standardized color matching system. Colors in the system are typically referred to by specific numbers (for example PMS 186).
  • Point
    A measurement unit equal to 1/72 of an inch. 12 points to a pica, 72 points to an inch.
  • Positive
    Film that contains an image with the same tonal values as the original; opposite of a negative.
  • PPI
    Stands for Pixels Per Inch, a measurement of pixel density on computer monitors, scanners, and digital cameras.
  • Press-Proof
    Actual press sheet to show image, tone values and colors as well as imposition of frame or press-plate.
  • Printers Pairs
    Two consecutive pages as they appear on a flat or signature.
  • Process Colors (aka CMYK)
    In standard 4-color printing the four primary colors are cyan, magenta, yellow and black. Combinations of these in varying degrees allows for creation of full-color images in printing. Also referred to as CMYK (for Cyan Magenta Yellow Black).
  • Process Inks
    Printing inks, usually in sets of four colors. The most frequent combination is yellow, magenta, cyan, and black, which are printed, one over another in that order, to obtain a colored print with the desired hues, whites, blacks, and grays.
  • Proof
    Sample of the artwork for checking and correction, to check accuracy of layout, type, information and color. Typically done nowadays as a digitally generated print, or as a digital file sent via email.
  • Rag paper
    Papers with a complete or partial content of cotton fibers.
  • Ragged Left
    The term given to right-justified type that is uneven on the left.
  • Ragged Right
    The term given to left-justified type that is uneven on the right.
  • Readers Pairs
    Two consecutive pages as they appear in printed piece.
  • Ream
    500 sheets of paper.
  • Register
    The arrangement of two or more images in exact alignment with each other.
  • Register Marks
    Any crossmarks or other symbols used on layout to assure proper registration.
  • RGB Color
    An additive color system using red, green and blue mixed in varying degrees to form all other colors. This is the standard color system for photography, video, television, and computer monitors.
  • Right Angle Fold
    A term that denotes folds that are 90 degrees to each other.
  • Run-Around
    A term given to copy that accommodates the lines of a picture or other image or copy.
  • Saddle Stitching
    Stitching where the wire staples pass through the spine from the outside and are clinched in the center. Only used with folded sections, either single sections or two or more sections inset to form a single section.
  • Satin Finish
    A smooth delicately embossed finished paper with sheen.
  • Scaling
    The enlargement or reduction of an image or copy to fit a specific area.
  • Score
    Impressions or cuts in flat material to facilitate bending or tearing.
  • Screen Angles
    The placement of halftone screens to avoid unwanted moiré patterns. Frequently used angles are black 45deg, magenta 75deg, yellow 90deg, and cyan 105deg.
  • Self Cover
    A cover made out of the same paper stock as the internal sheets.
  • Sheetwise
    The printing of two different images on two different sides of a sheet of paper by turning the page over after the first side is printed and using the same gripper and side guides. Also called Work & Back.
  • Show Through
    A problem that occurs when the printing on one side of a sheet is seen from the other side.
  • Side Stitching
    Stitching where the wire staples pass through the pile of sections or leaves gathered upon each other and are clinched on the underside.
  • Signature (Section)
    Printed sheet (or its flat) that consists of a number of pages of a book, placed so that they will fold and bind together as a section of a book. The printed sheet after folding.
  • Slitting
    A term to describe the process of cutting of printed sheets by the cutting wheels of a printing press.
  • Smoothness
    That quality of paper defined by its levelness which allows for pressure consistency in printing, assuring uniformity of print.
  • Spine
    Back edge of a book.
  • Spiral Bind
    A binding whereby a wire or plastic is spiraled through holes punched along the binding side.
  • Spread
    A film image that is larger than the original image to accommodate ink trapping. Reference, trapping
  • Stabbing
    To bind a series of pages with wire staples such that staples enter from the front and back simultaneously, neither side being long enough to exit the opposite side.
  • Static Neutralizer
    A device on a printing press that minimizes the amount of static build up on paper as it passes through the press.
  • Stet
    A proofreader’s symbol that is usually written in the copy margin, that indicates that the copy, which was marked for correction, should be left as it was.
  • Stock
    A term for unprinted paper or other material to be printed.
  • Stumping Or Blocking
    Impressing book covers, etc., by means of hot die, brass types or blocks.
  • Synthetic Papers
    Any petroleum based waterproof papers with a high tensile strength.
  • Tack
    The adhesive quality of inks.
  • Tensile Strength
    A paper’s ability to withstand pressure.
  • Text
    A high quality printing paper.
  • Thermography
    A printing process whereby slow drying ink is applied to paper and while the ink is still wet, it is lightly dusted with a resinous powder. The paper then passes through a heat chamber where the powder melts and fuses with the ink to produce a raised surface.
  • Tooth
    The rough surfaced finish of papers such as vellum or antique.
  • Transparent
    Inks that do not block out the colored inks that they print over, but instead blend with them to create intermediate colors.
  • Trapping
    The process of printing wet ink over printed ink which may be wet or dry.
  • Trim Marks
    Marks placed on the sheet to indicate where to cut the page.
  • Up
    A term used to describe how many similar sheets can be produced on a larger sheet; two up, four up, etc.
  • Varnish
    A clear shiny ink used to add gloss to printed pieces. The primary component of the ink vehicle. Reference, vehicle.
  • Vellum
    A finish of paper that is rough, bulky and has a degree of tooth.
  • Verso
    A term given to the left-hand or even-numbered pages of a book.
  • Vignette
    Fade to white or small decorative design or illustration. A photo or illustration etc., in which the tones fade gradually away until they blend with the surface they are printed on.
  • W&B
    An abbreviation for work and back. Reference, sheetwise.
  • W&T
    An abbreviation for work and turn, indicating how printed sheets will be turned to print a second side, so that the same gripper is used on both sides.
  • Washup
    The procedure of cleaning a particular ink from all of the printing elements (rollers, plate, ink fountain etc.) of a press.
  • Watermark
    A translucent logo that is embossed during the papermaking process while the paper slurry is on the dandy roll. Reference, dandy roll
  • Web
    The roll of paper that is used in web or rotary printing.
  • Web Press
    Cylinder printing machine in which the paper is fed from a continuous reel, as opposed to sheet fed.
  • Widow
    A single word or two left at the end of a paragraph, or a part of a sentence ending a paragraph, which loops over to the next page and stands alone. Also, the last sentence of a paragraph which contains only one or two short words.
  • Wire Stitching Or Stapling
    To fasten together sheets, signatures, or sections with wire staples. 3 methods… saddle stitching, side stitching, and stabbing.
  • Xerographic Paper
    Papers made to reproduce well in copy machines and laser printers.