Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM)
Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM) is a service USPS provides that allows you to send your mailing to any specific neighborhood, zip code or mail route.
- No need for a mailing list, so you can mail a larger card for less
- No mailing permit required
- Mail to only the routes you need
- Postage is as low at 18¢ per piece
Need to create personalized messaging that will reach your target demographic? Print EDDM®-compliant postcards that fulfill the USPS’ requirements. This direct mail strategy lets you reach a specific demographic at affordable rates. You can easily promote your business and expand your current market reach. Just use the USPS’ mapping tool to see which postal route fits your potential customer profile based on demographic data like age range and household income. Once your postcards are ready, USPS will deliver your message to every address in the selected postal route.
This removes the need to upload a mailing list or include a postage permit. At Valley Print Logistics, we take care of every customization detail, from sizes that fit EDDM® postcard requirements to cardstock that endures multiple handling.
We print approved EDDM® sizes from 6.25″ x 8″ to 11″ x 17″ on your choice of durable 14 pt. or 16 pt. stocks.
The 3 most popular Every Door Direct Mail® postcard size options are:
- 6.5” x 9”
- Oversized postcards 8.5″ x 11″
- Tri-fold menus 4.25″ x 14″
The dimension guidelines as listed on the USPS EDDM® page are:
- Rectangular with four square corners or finished corners that do not exceed a radius of 1/8 inch
- One of the following: more than 11.5 inches long, more than 6 1/8 inches high, or more than 1/4 inch thick
- Not more than 15 inches long, 12 inches high, or 3/4 inch thick.
All available sizes follow the EDDM® postcard requirements. Our three most popular sizes are:
- 6.5” x 9”
- 6.5” x 11”
- 8.5” x 11”
Download any of the templates available to ensure the file follows all the necessary printing guidelines. The sample design below shows how your artwork will appear with the guidelines considered:
- A safe zone should not include any important details, text, or images beyond its green dotted area. This prevents essential information from being cut in the final print.
- The trim line determines where the final design will be cut. Only your background color should be seen here, but cannot include anything in the safe zone.
- Bleed should include the background of your artwork, up until the edge of this area. This is crucial for designs that extend up to the edge of your final size.
Direct mail postcards’ available finishes include matte, gloss, and high-gloss UV. You also have the choice to use standard EDDM® retail indicia or to have your indicia on your artwork file. Together, these options allow you to create quality postcards in EDDM® compliant sizes and formatting that suit whatever artwork you have.
Optional bundling in sets of 100 is also available to meet USPS requirements for EDDM®.
How to Craft an Effective Direct Mail Message
Stick to one main purpose for your EDDM® postcard.
Are you promoting a new product line or store opening? Are you a realtor announcing your next open house? Or do you simply want to greet both old and new customers during the holidays? Decide on your postcard’s central message and design every element to serve this purpose.
The simpler, the better.
You probably have a lot to say but a simple message comes out clearer. Focus on the purpose of your direct mail postcard. Otherwise, you distract customers with information that may get in the way of your end goal or call-to-action. Make sure everything on the postcard leads and helps the recipient toward the desired action.
Formulate a design strategy.
Your postcard needs to do more than look nice. The message should appeal to your target demographic and be readable in one glance. A call-to-action must be clear so the EDDM® postcards serve their purpose. Align the message such that it leads your recipient to the call-to-action.
You can also personalize the message and images according to your chosen demographic. See what colors, tone, and images match so it can appeal to your target market. To narrow down your design choices, try to imagine the demographic’s lifestyle. Activities like their outdoor hobbies and food preferences help in envisioning what attracts your selected recipient.
EDDM® and EVERY DOOR DIRECT MAIL® are trademarks of the United States Postal Service.
Valley Print Logistics is an independent provider of Every Door Direct Mail® products that are not associated with nor sponsored by the United States Postal Service.